Pages

9.15.2013

Remembering Gratitude

Today at church, a friend gave a powerful testimony about a lesson she had learned this week.  Her lesson was best summed up in her last sentence--you can't be pitiful and grateful at the same time.  It was a timely reminder to me that, in the midst of preparing for the whirlwind to come, I have much to be grateful for.  So, I wanted to take a moment and give thanks.

I am thankful for:

1) Being a parent.  As hard as all this surgery and medical stuff is, I am blessed that my journey with infertility ended with my having children.  Not everyone is successful, and I am grateful that I was one of the lucky ones who was.

2) My marriage and my husband.  Marriage is hard enough.  Ours has survived law school, infertility, and high needs children.  I am so lucky and so grateful that he has my back and that we're in this together.

3) My family--both by birth and by marriage.  They have been so supportive in all of the difficult moments.  Just feeling loved and supported can do so much to get me through the day.

4) My job and my co-workers.  I am lucky to have a job I love and to work with people whose company I enjoy and whose opinions I value.  They have also been a great support to me, finding ways to help and reminding me it's okay to cry, even if I am at work.

5) Health insurance.  I am grateful to have good health insurance. I am also grateful that there are no longer pre-existing conditions or lifetime maximums, so I don't have to worry about my children being uninsurable before they are even 5.

6) Reliable transportation.  With all of the trips to the doctor, including lots of trips to Detroit, I am grateful that my car is in good condition and I don't worry about whether I can make it all of the places I need to be.

7) Our medical providers.  I am grateful for such an amazing group of doctors--both for me and for my children.  Having confidence in their care makes things so much easier on me.

8) My special people.  I am lucky to have friends, near and far, who do amazing things for me.  Whether sending prayers, providing pick-me-ups, giving hugs, standing beside me when times are tough, coordinating care for my family, providing food and clothing, babysitting, messaging to make sure I'm okay, or any of the other myriad ways they show their love, I am blessed by and grateful for each and every one of my friends.

I know that the next few months, maybe even years, are going to test me.  I am so grateful for all of the blessings I have that will help me not merely survive the times to come, but find the joy and love present there as well.  And, hopefully, even in the dark times yet to come, I will remember to be grateful for all I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment