Pages

3.28.2013

What's Happenin' Now

My apologies for being so quiet.  First, there was nothing new to report.  Than, life got too crazy to have time to write--but that involves the toddler and will be the subject of another post.  Add in all the extra tired from being pregnant, and *voila* radio silence.

So, focusing on just pregnancy-related news, let's start with the good.  Monday I went to the doctor and was released not just from bed rest, but from the fertility center to my regular doctor.  I also got to cut back on my meds and should be totally off them by the end of April.  The ultrasound showed no problems with the jellybean, who was .61 inches long and had a heart rate of 157.  I called my OB's office and made an appointment for my nurse intake, which occurred today.

It started kind of scary when my blood pressure was 147/89.  Fortunately, we retested at the end and it was down to 126/80.  Phew!  We declined all prenatal testing and just asked for the 20-week ultrasound; same like last time.  I don't care how low the risk of miscarriage is with the testing--any risk is too much.  However, there is one difference this time.  Around the same time as the 20-week ultrasound, I will also get referred to a pediatric cardiologist for a fetal echo-cardiogram to make sure there are no heart issues with the jellybean--there's an increased risk since Lil' Bit has some.

They told me that my next appointment is around 13 weeks, when I'll see my doc and we'll get to hear the heartbeat!  They told me that they changed their "rotation" policy from last time I was there.  Now, most, if not all, of my regularly scheduled appointments will be with my doctor and I will only see the other docs if I have an unexpected issue, or my doc is out for some reason.  I'm excited that I will get to see my doc more often ('cuz she's so awesome!) and, since I met most of the other docs last time, I'm feeling pretty good.

Then, we hit the discussion of the blood tests and the bad news came.  I have to do a glucose tolerance test for gestational diabetes within the next week.  Apparently, they test waaaay earlier than usual if you've had it before.  And, even if I pass, they will still test me again later.  I don't know if they wait and test me again at 28 weeks with everyone else, or if I will get tested several times along the way.  Either way, I'm a little freaked out.  I don't want to have to take shots the WHOLE pregnancy.  Just two months of insulin and testing drove me bananas last time.

Still, I'll do what I have to do.  As I've been telling myself for the last few weeks--we paid good money for me to feel this miserable.  :)  And, hey, at least I'm not on bed rest anymore!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy for you all! I know you will focus on the joy and positive to get you through any challenges and discomfort. God's blessings are not always without struggle. But, blessings they are. I have kept you in my prayers and will continue to keep you all on my prayer list. God bless you, I know He has.

    ReplyDelete