Pages

8.16.2015

I Dreamed of You

As I headed out to Denver for my week of writing and relaxation, I found myself thinking a lot about Patrick.  Between swiftly approaching anniversaries and editing my manuscript in which he features prominently, my mind has been full of thoughts and pictures of him, so it was no surprise that I dreamed of him the night before the trip.  Thus, I found myself sitting in the airport, wanting desperately to write something, but not feeling like working on my book.  I was surprised to discover that I wanted to write more poetry.  See, I am not really a poetry person, or, at least I didn't use to be.  Apparently, among all the changes that I have undergone from these experiences, feeling like writing more poetry is another to add to the list.  So, sitting in the Detroit airport, sun blazing in the windows, I wrote a poem to Patrick.

I Dreamed of You

I dreamed of you last night;
that you were here with me.
I held you in my arms again
and rocked you fast asleep.

Closed eyes framed with lashes.
Your soft, contented sighs.
My heart swelled with maternal love
that made up for your cries.

Your small but wild patch
of red and curly hair
matched with a wicked grin and laugh
you never failed to share.

You wore a hooded shirt
of sea foam green and white.
It almost hid the cannula
that wrapped your face so tight.

You were alive again.
Just like in your last days.
I was so sure that it was real,
so piercing was your gaze.

Instead, it was a dream
But one I'm glad I had.
I got to feel your love again,
although it made me sad.

And though sometimes I'm broken,
and struggle with dismay.
Knowing you still watch over me
helped get me through my day.

1 comment: