Pages

2.15.2012

Lightning Does Strike Twice

It's official--we're pregnant again!  Both betas are back and the news is all good.  Today was rough, though.  I had my blood test at 7:00 a.m.  Monday's results had come to me at 9:00 a.m., so I expected something similar today.  No dice.  I still had no call by 12:30 p.m.  I had just about decided I would call them around 2:00 p.m. when Phil called me to tell me there was a message on the phone at home to call them (they had never called me at that number before).  Well, they are closed from 12 to 1 for lunch, but I called and left a message anyway and said to call my cell.  Sometime around 1:15, I guess, I got the call.

Monday's beta was 68, so the magic number we *thought* we were looking for today was 136.  We got 119.  My initial thought was to totally freak out, but before I did, I managed to notice that the lady at the other end was still talking in a happy voice.  So, I managed to push down most of my fear and listen.  Apparently, they look for the number to "roughly" double, because the doubling time is 48 to 72 hours.  Because the beta tests were only 48 hours apart, 80% of the way to doubling is well within that range.  Yay!  I double-checked with the nurse that it didn't need to be higher and she assured me the numbers were fine.  However, she offered to order another test in two days if we wanted, but I told her I was willing to take her word for it.  [She has no idea how big a step that is for me!]  I texted Phil right away so he could put the news out, and I posted a picture of Lil' Bit in her new "I'm the big sister" shirt.  [We actually let her wear it to daycare today we were feeling so good about the news from Monday.]

The plan from here (because you must know by now that there will be a plan and I will share it) is that we have our ultrasound scheduled for March 1--which will be just over 6 weeks pregnant if I calculated correctly--at which point they can tell us if we're having twins.  My guess is no, particularly in light of my numbers, but you never know.  So, any betting folks out there?  Boy?  Girl?  Both?  A pair and a spare?  Before you ask, I have no preferences boy or girl, but my guess is that it's a boy.  I would prefer just one, but I will take what I get and be thrilled to bits.  For now, I'm just basking in the glow and totally amazed that we managed to have successful IVF cycles on the first try both times.  I am dumbfounded, but also truly blessed and grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment