Pages

8.24.2012

Lessons from GenCon

We recently returned from a week-long visit to Indianapolis, where we saw family and attended GenCon. We had previously attended before Lil' Bit, but didn't make 2010 or 2011, so it was wonderful to finally make it back and visit with people we hadn't seen in a few years.  And, so, having completed another excursion away from home, it's time for another edition of lessons from....

1)  Attending conventions requires lots more pre-planning with a toddler.  For one, we had to make sure we didn't schedule events at the same time so that the other parent was available to watch Lil' Bit.  We also had to stay at a hotel for the first time (we used to stay with family about 30 mins away), because of Lil' Bit's medication and nap needs.  It worked out fabulously and we will definitely do it that way again in the future.

2)  It's hard to allow your toddler moments of independence when you are surrounded by roughly 41,000 other people.  Lil' Bit often wanted to run free or help push the stroller, rather than ride in it.  When it seemed less busy, I was more than happy to let her.  I would try and steer her, the stroller, or both, away from people, and we did manage to not hit anyone.  But, there were times when she wanted down and it just wasn't safe.  Yes, it made her mad, and I apologize to those who had to listen to my toddler throw a screaming fit because I wouldn't let her run around, but I'd rather piss people off with her screaming than lose her in a sea of thousands of strangers.

3)  No more late evenings.  Holy cow!  We only stayed out late one night, and it was the night before we left, and even that was rough.  That 4:45 wake-up for meds comes no matter what.

4)  If your toddler has to get sick, the morning you are trying to pack and leave is both the most and least convenient time.  Since you are trying to pack and get out of the room without incurring an addition charge, having to stop and snuggle your barfing child and change her clothes four times, etc. isn't the most stress-free environment.  Plus, you wonder if she's going to barf on the trip home.  However, you don't care if she barfs all over the sheets because it is not your bed, you don't have to clean it up, and you aren't even coming back that night.  So, grab every clean towel you need.  No worries.

5)  Don't overschedule yourself.  I had given myself two short periods throughout the con to go through the dealer's hall and look for crap, I mean stuff, to buy.  However, when Lil' Bit started to have a meltdown from being tired and around lots of people and noise, the only solution was to take her back to the room and *poof* there went my time to poke around.  So, next time, I will make sure to schedule myself more free time to do that without Lil' Bit.

6)  Lil' Bit is still the best thing ever.  I have to say, there is simply nothing like the feeling of coming out of a seminar or game, looking over to see your spouse and child playing together waiting for you, and then, witnessing the moment when your child looks up and sees you and grins bigger than her face, and starts running toward you.  Honestly, it never gets old and it makes up for the crabbiest tantrum.  In our house, we call it a "heal your heart" moment.

7)  Family naps are amazing.  Every morning we got up at the crack of dawn (read 4:00 a.m. or so) to do meds and played with Lil' Bit until 6:00 a.m., when we would head down to the restaurant for our free buffet breakfast.  We'd end up back at the room shortly before 7:00 a.m. and usually, by 7:15 a.m. doodlebug was ready for, or already taking, a nap.  Holding her in my lap, rocking her to sleep, placing her in the middle of the bed, and each of us taking a snooze on either side of her was not only refreshing for the sleep, but the whole rocking, snuggling, napping thing was another "heal the heart" moment.

8)  Lil' Bit isn't little.  And I don't mean just your normal, she's not my baby anymore.  No.  I mean, when people hear how old she is, they are impressed by her size.  For example, there I was, standing in line with Phil and Lil' Bit, waiting to get Wil Wheaton's autograph and trying not make a complete and utter fool of myself.  Our turn arrives.  We walk up and begin to make small talk.  "How old is she?" he asks.  "21 months," I reply.  "Wow!  She's the HUGEST toddler I have ever seen!" he replies as his eyes bug out of his head.  Yes, Wil Wheaton thinks my toddler is gargantuan.  I thought it was totally hilarious and, in all fairness, at 35 inches she is in the 90th percentile for height.  Still, I can't help but wonder what he would have thought if we had explained she was that big *and* had a heart condition and open-heart surgery.  How much bigger might she have become?

9)  Lil' Bit loves her clothes.  I bought her a GenCon shirt, although it's more like a dress since they didn't have anything smaller than a 4/5.  But, when she saw me put on my shirt, she began throwing a fit because she thought I was wearing hers.  I had to take hers out and put it on her for her to understand there was more than one.  She did it again when Phil wore his.  I think she wore the shirt 3 days in a row before we were able to get it off of her.

All in all, GenCon was amazing.  Although it was my most tiring one, it was also my favorite since I started attending.  I can't wait to take Lil' Bit back next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment