Pages

2.19.2010

The Next Phase

When we last left our story, I was impatiently waiting for a doctor's appointment to see what would happen next and when it would occur. On Tuesday, we went to the center to have an ultrasound to make sure my system was properly suppressed, I had no cysts, and everything was ready to go. They went over some test results with us and we made a plan for the stims phase. The nurse told me I would start stims on Friday (today). I am still taking Lupron (the suppression drug), but at 1/4 of the dose. For today and tomorrow, I also am taking a drug called Menopur, which is a mixture of FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone) and LH (luteinizing hormone). Finally, for the next 10-12 days, depending on how things go, I am taking Gonal-F (FSH). So, that's 3 injections today and tomorrow and then two injections per day until trigger day.

This coming Monday, I am scheduled to go in for another ultrasound and blood work to see how my body is responding to the meds. The center will then call me in the afternoon and adjust my meds (or not) based on the results. I will also be scheduled for another ultrasound and blood test later in the week. At this point, retrieval and transfer should occur sometime the first week of March. In fact, this is why they delayed starting me on stims until today. I am technically on the center's IVF schedule for March. If I had started the stims before today, the procedures would likely have been in late February. So, to keep me in the right calendar month, they extended my Lupron protocol.

Now that I've started the stims, I cannot do anything that makes me bounce to avoid a condition called ovarian torsion. I have to take stairs slowly (or use elevators), and can do no aerobics, running, jogging, elliptical, etc. I can walk, stretch, swim, or bike in moderation. I have opted for walking and have borrowed a treadmill to allow me to do that easily (and without having to be out in the cold!).

I made it through the three injections with minimal problems today. I do seem to have a strange taste in my mouth and a slight headache but, all told, things have been going much better than I expected and I have my fingers crossed that they continue to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment