Pages

1.17.2012

Mutant M

Unless you've just joined us, or have been hiding under a rock, you know I'm giving myself hormone injections.  As much as I am not a fan of giving myself shots, I must admit that I am still extremely lucky.  Why?  Because I don't seem to experience the side effects the way others do.  Yes, I got extremely emotional last time on the stims.  I went back and checked (thanks blog!) and, apparently, I got angry and irrational.  I'm not saying I don't experience any effects.  But, when I was originally researching IVF and what to expect, I was terrified of Lupron.  I read that it stung on injection, that it caused headaches, hot flashes, dizziness, nausea or vomiting, sleep issues, and all other types of issues.  Fortunately, neither last round nor this time have I had any such issues with the Lupron.  It never occurred to me that this was odd.  Every drug affects people differently and some people get side effects and others don't.  

And so it was, we were in to see my GP (general practitioner) last week for (yet another) ear infection.  I told him that we had elected to go forward with another cycle and that I was currently on Lupron injections.  He asked how the hormonal swings and other craziness was going and I said, "I don't seem to have any effects from it."  He looked over at Phil, as if seeking confirmation, in case this lack of symptoms was all in my head and I was actually a crazy woman.  "No, really," he reassured Dr. R.  "She's not having mood swings or anything."  Dr. R. looked back at me and pronounced me a "hormonal mutant."  After Phil and I finished giggling over this statement, I really wanted to ask whether Dr. R would certify my mutant status so I could qualify for the X-men.  After all, at heart, I remain a gamer and comic geek.

No comments:

Post a Comment