Pages

1.29.2012

To Pee or Not to Pee...

First, the update:  Today was my last shot.  Yay!  *happy dance*  I'm now four days from transfer.  Very exciting!  Tomorrow I drop my estrogen back to 2 per day and start progesterone 3 times a day.  Tuesday I add in some steroids and antibiotics and Thursday I get Valium :)   Have to set a lot of reminders on my phone to remember to take all these pills, but post-transfer I'm back to just 2--progesterone and estrogen.

Now, my conundrum.  Post-transfer, I am subjected to the tortuous two-week-wait (tww) while we wait to see if pregnancy is achieved.  Because I'm having an FET, I think it's merely a 12-day wait, but it still feels too long.  Anyway, the question is, should I just wait for the blood test, which will give me one, surefire answer?  Or should I try an HPT (home pregnancy test) at some point.  If I try an HPT, when should I try it?  Do I have the fortitude to see a negative?  But wouldn't it be so crazy to get to see a positive?  See, last time I didn't have this issue because with a "fresh" cycle, you take something called a trigger shot, which is HCG.  And, since HCG is what pregnancy tests pick up, you don't want to use an HPT because you can get a false-positive.  With a frozen cycle, there's no HCG shot, so no risk of false positive.  But, I have to go back to the first question I asked.  Do I have the fortitude to see a negative?  What if I just got 12 of them and peed on one every day.  Kind of like an experiment--what's the earliest pregnancy shows up (if there is one); do they get darker over time?  I know this sounds stupid, but I've never gotten to see a positive HPT.  Last time, I was afraid I would jinx things if I tried it, so I never did.  As hard as the 12-day wait is, I think it would be easier to just wait for the answer from the blood test.  But the whole experiment things seems so cool and it may be my only chance to try.

I still have a few days to decide.  So, what say you, dear readers?  Stick with the blood test?  Try an HPT?  Do more than one?  What would you do?

[And, for those of you dying for more information than you ever wanted to know about pee sticks, go here.]

1 comment:

  1. I like the 12 tests idea. There was a website someone mentioned a while back to buy them in bulk for super cheap. Can't remember what it was though.

    ReplyDelete